Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Heartache

"Watching a peaceful death of a human being reminds us of a falling star; one of a million lights in a vast sky that flares up for a brief moment only to disappear into the endless night forever."

Dr. Elisabeth Kubler Ross

*****

Being a nurse for very sick & fragile babies, death and dying is sadly something that I have to experience. It is always sad when an infant dies, but my experience last night at work has my heart aching. I won't go into all the details of it, but after 8 long hours of working to save my patient he died in his mom and dads arms with family surrounding him. It was as peaceful as possible, but going through that with a family is so saddening. My heart is broken for his mommy & daddy and family who all loved him so much. I dreamed about it while I slept today and am still crying now as I am typing this post almost 12 hours later. Life is so precious and fragile, and I feel beyond blessed and great full to have cared for him and his family and for the healthy babies I have. After such an awful night I am relieved to be off until next Monday and to be able to hold, hug and kiss my little ones every second of the day.

4 comments:

tiffany jeanne said...

Beth, I just don't know what to say, but you are such a great nurse and I'm honored to be your friend. I'll be thinking of you as you also grieve the loss of a little life.

xoxo

katy said...

Oh Beth...I am so sorry. I will keep you in my thoughts tonight for peace tomorrow.

Erin Leigh said...

I'll say some prayers too for your your patient's parents and family and you too of course... You are an amazingly strong nurse!

Cara Grube :) said...

I don't know how you (all of you!) do it, but those babies are blessed to have someone with such a beautiful heart caring for them. I hope your heart finds peace soon... Take good care :)